The Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Sri Lanka (CPASL) is an independent, national institute with international perspectives, dedicated to the promotion of the highest accounting, finance, auditing, taxation and ethical standards. It is committed to promote the art and science of accounting and to provide quality education and training for students to advance their knowledge, skills and capabilities to meet the changing needs of modern society.
Vision & Mission
The Institute of Certified Public Accountants with the sanction of the Colombo Commercial High Court, was incorporated under the Companies Act, Number 17 of 1982 and the Act, Number 7 of 2007 in pursuant to section 21, as a company limited by guarantee. It commenced its operation in June 2010 and has members and students working in many parts of the world. Its current membership operates in Public Practice, Industry, Commerce and Public Sector.
Members of CPA Sri Lanka are required to observe proper standards of professional conduct and fundamental principles of professional ethics. The CPA Sri Lanka Code of Ethics has been developed in accordance with the IFAC Code. Members of CPA Sri Lanka are bound by the requirements of CPA Sri Lanka’s Memorandum, Articles of Association, Bye Laws, Code of Ethical Professional Conduct, CPD Requirements and all other national and international requirements for professional accountants. CPA Sri Lanka provides an infrastructure which supports the profession and enables members to meet the needs of the evolving global environment and safeguard the public interest.
To be the premier accountancy qualification in Sri Lanka, comparable to the best in the world.
- to be the best and the most accessible provider of quality education in accounting and related disciplines,
- to enhance the value and distinctiveness of the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) qualification
- to promote high standards of professional conduct and technical competence of members to safeguard public interest,
- to lead, develop and support accountancy professionals so that they will excel in their role and contribute to building Sri Lanka and be key players in the global Economy and
- to ensure that all CPAs remain at the leading edge throughout their careers.
1. Integrity: CPAs conduct themselves with honesty and uphold a stringent code of professional conduct and unquestionable ethics. CPAs place professional responsibility above personal gain and reject opportunities or assignments that may compromise their principle of integrity. This revered level of integrity will require increased vigilance as new services and market expectations develop.
2. Continuing education and life-long learning: CPAs highly value continuing education beyond certification and believe it is important to continuously acquire new skills and knowledge. Competence will continue to be an ever-shifting target as business demands for knowledge and insight increase. This value will increase the focus on the need for high quality pre- and post-CPA examination education, Continuing Education and Life Long Learning.
3. Competence: All CPAs will adhere only to the highest standards of performance. This includes performing high quality work that is designed to share knowledge and deliver value to the end user and translating “big picture” perceptions into strategic action.
4. Serving the public: CPAs will remain committed to staying on the leading edge of expanding knowledge and be increasingly aware of public need and interest. Formal education curriculum and CPE will be revitalized to provide skills for enhanced services and new competencies and to attract quality entrants to the profession
5. Attuned to broad business issues: CPAs are in tune with the overall realities of the business and will continuously expand their knowledge and competencies to meet a broader range of market needs and enhance the role of the profession in the business world. Keeping abreast of technology is critical to increased opportunities for CPAs to optimize performance and expand services.
6. Objectivity: CPAs are able to deal with information free of distortions, personal bias, or conflicts of interest.